Novel’s intrinsic and extrinsic elements Novel is a literary work that is presented in the form of a long story. Novels have a longer story than short stories, the words contained in the novel are more than 15,000 words. Stories in novels usually describe a complex and detailed event. Novel consists of two elements, namely intrinsic elements and extrinsic elements.
The intrinsic elements of the novel consist of:
1. characters who are fictional actors who are created to experience an event in a novel, the actors in the novel can consist of several main actors who have protagonist or antagonist characters as well as additional actors and background actors who can support the actions of the main actors.
2. Character and disposition, namely the nature of each character in the novel, while characterization is a technique in presenting the character itself, so that it can give the impression that the author wants.
3. Plot is the course of the story or events in the novel, so that the story describes a complete event.
4. Point of view is the narrator’s point of view in presenting an event, there is a first person point of view and a third person point of view.
5. The message is the message conveyed by the author through the novel.
6. Setting is a description of the time of the incident, the place of the incident, and the atmosphere when the incident or event took place.
While extrinsic elements are elements that have nothing to do with the content of the novel but are influential in the making of the novel. The extrinsic elements of the novel include; 1. Curriculum Vitae of the author, all things about the author. The author’s psychological state, the author’s educational background, the author’s family background, the culture in which the author lives, the condition of the society when the novel was made, as well as the history or development of a literary work. These elements can indirectly affect the content of a novel. Sometimes we can see the author’s life history in a novel, the author’s education, culture and conditions of society.
The two elements above have the same important position in making a novel. If you only consider one element, there will be an imbalance in the content of the novel, so that readers are less able to enjoy it. Read: Understanding Perspective and Association According to Experts