One of the growing perceptions regarding how to deal with jellyfish stings is to be given urine (pee). It is said that this can relieve the effects that may occur after the sting. However, this method was not able to provide a direct effect. It is more advisable to treat it with vinegar water (read: Recognize 5 Dangers of Traveling on the Beach).

According to Dr Lisa Gershwin, Director of the Australian Sting Advisory Service at CSIRO, vinegar may not reduce the pain of a jellyfish sting. But the substance in it is actually able to save the victim’s life. Some types of jellyfish such as the cube jellyfish, their venom can attack the body and increase the risk of death.

“Vinegar does not help reduce pain but for species that are deadly and cause further problems, vinegar can neutralize stinging cells that have not injected venom or poison so they can’t excrete poison anymore.” Gershwin said as quoted by the People’s Mind page.

Gershwin added, there is about 10 percent of the capacity of the poison that attacks the body when stung by a jellyfish. About 90 percent can be prevented from spreading with vinegar. Meanwhile, if you use urine it is not effective and makes the spread of toxins continue. Slightly acidic urine prevents the spread of toxins by as much as 25 percent. However, alkaline urine does not have a significant role and triggers the release of stinging cells.

Jellyfish is a species that is found in many oceans, including beaches. But the amount species that are poisonous there are approximately 200 of the 2,000 species that exist today. One of the life-threatening jellyfish is the Irukandji or cube jellyfish. Clothing made of lycra material helps prevent the sting and don’t forget to bring vinegar with you on vacation to the beach.

Source: Sidomy

.