The city of Jepara is also called the hometown of the Female Hero RA Kartini (1879-1904), who defended women in Indonesia during the Dutch colonial era, also known as the City of Wood Carving, which is well known in the world.

The area of ​​Jepara Regency also includes the Karimunjawa Archipelago, which is a group of islands in the Java Sea. The two largest islands are Karimunjawa Island and Kemujan Island. Most of the Karimunjawa area is protected in the Karimunjawa Marine Nature Reserve. Crossing to these islands is served by ferries departing from the Port of Jepara. Karimunjawa also has Dewandaru Airport which can accommodate aircraft from Ahmad Yani Airport, Semarang.

Portuguese Fort

Portuguese Fort (http://en.wikipedia.org)

The Portuguese fort is located in Banyumanis Village, Donorojo District or 45 km northeast of Jepara City, and to reach it there is a rocky asphalt road and can only be reached by private vehicle because there is no public transportation route to this historical site.

In 1619, the city of Jayakarta (Sunda Kelapa) was entered by the Dutch VOC, and at this time Sunda Kelapa, which was renamed Batavia, is considered the beginning of the growth of colonialism by the Dutch Imperialists in Indonesia. Sultan Agung, the King of Mataram, had sensed the imminent danger of the fall of Jayakarta into the hands of the Dutch. For this reason, Sultan Agung prepared his army to repel the Dutch colonialists. This determination of the King of Mataram was carried out successively in 1628 and 1629 which ended in defeat on the side of Mataram.

This incident made Sultan Agung think that the Dutch VOC could only be defeated through simultaneous land and sea attacks, even though Mataram did not have a strong naval fleet, so it needed assistance from a third party who was also at war with the VOC, namely the Portuguese.

Portuguese Fort Complex (http://wisata-sia.blogspot.com)

A cooperation agreement between Mataram and the Portuguese was immediately concluded and for the first stage the Portuguese placed their troops in a fort built by Mataram in 1632. This fort was very effective in maintaining shipping traffic to the city of Jepara which was the main port of Mataram for export and import.

The fact that Mataram and Portuguese cooperation could not be realized for the purpose of expelling the Dutch in Batavia even in 1642 the Portuguese left this fort because Malacca as the main Portuguese city in Southeast Asia was actually captured by the Dutch in 1641.

Cannon (https://didiksalambanu.wordpress.com)

When the Japanese showed their feet in the archipelago, this fort was again used. The Japanese used it as a sea scout spot. With forced labor taken from the surrounding villages, the scrub was cleared, the road to the top of the hill was widened. At the foot of the hill overlooking the sea were built surveillance walls equipped with small cannons. The tower that had been destroyed was rebuilt and made taller. The former house in the center of the fort was also rebuilt as a place for scouts to live.

Kartini Museum

RA Kartini Museum

The Kartini Museum is located on Jalan Alun-alun No. 1, Panggang Village, Jepara District, Jepara Regency or to the north of the Jepara Regency Pendopo.

The museum building area is 890 square meters, standing on a land area of ​​5,210 square meters. The building consists of three buildings:

  1. Building K, 590 square meters
  2. T building, 130 square meters
  3. Building N, with an area of ​​190 square meters. N is now functioned as a place for art activities.

RA Kartini as a pioneer for the emancipation of Indonesian women. To commemorate his services, dedication, and struggle, in 1975 the Second Level Regional Government of Jepara, at the suggestion of the people’s representatives and assistance from President Soeharto, a museum was established on March 30, 1975, during the reign of Regent Soewarno Djojomardowo, SH. April 1977 by the Regent of the Second Level Regional Head of Jepara, Soedikto, SH exactly the centenary of RA Kartini’s commemoration (note: Kartini was born in 1879, so the centenary anniversary should have fallen in 1979) The Kartini Museum is a local museum managed by the Jepara Regency Government.

This museum, in addition to presenting relics of RA Kartini, also presents objects of cultural heritage obtained in the Jepara Regency area.

Room I

RA Kartini Study Desk (http://ticjepara.com)

This room contains a collection of relics of RA Kartini in the form of objects and photographs of hers when she was alive, including: (One) set of original guest tables and chairs made of teak wood with carvings typical of ancient Javanese motifs; Painting of his face at the time of his marriage to the Regent of Rembang, Raden Mas Adipati Djoyodiningrat on November 12, 1903; Photo of an example of writing in Dutch addressed to his friend in Holland; Photo of his only son, Raden Mas Singgih, whose childhood name was Susalit (Javanese: hard wiwit alit or in Indonesian, difficult since childhood); Photo of his father, RMAA. Sosroningrat, who had served as the Regent of Jepara, at that time the center of government was in the Regency Hall.

RA Kartini Museum (http://kartinisologalery.blogdetik.com)

There is also a photo of his biological mother, MA. Ngasirah from Telukawur village, Jepara; Study desk; Plates and bowls; The results of the student’s hand skills are lace; Tools for batik in the form of canting belonging to RA Kartini; The genealogy of RA Kartini; The back porch of the Regency hall; Botekan, a place to store herbs in preparation for when RA Kartini will be born; His student’s sewing machine is still operable.

Room II

Drs. RMP. Sosrokartono (http://ticjepara.com)

In this room we will find relics and photographs of his older brother, Drs. RMP. Sosrokartono. A figure who participated in the struggle for Indonesia’s independence movement as well as a motivator and impetus for the noble ideals of RA Kartini, mastered 26 types of languages ​​and was good at medicine by using “Air Putih” as an intermediary medium. He is known as “Joko Pring” or “Foreman Klungsu” and people often call him by the nickname “Ndoro Sosro”. In addition, he is famous for his knowledge of “Catur Murti” which is a combination of speech, feelings, thoughts, and actions. According to the teachings of science, when people master and are able to combine the four elements above, that person will surely become a true human being (Javanese: Mumpuni).

(http://ticjepara.com)

Some of the relics and photographs in this room include: Chairs for queuing patients whose condition is still original; sofa chair for rest; the place of treatment as well as the last bed at the time of his death; photo of Mount Lawu and Merapi taken not by airplane or satellite, but from a certain place with the power of knowledge; meditation room; real marble countertop; picture of the letter Alif attached to the frame as a sign to find out whether or not it is successful in treating the patient; etc.

Room III

The objects in this room include ancient objects from the VII century period, namely the relics of Queen Shima. Ratu Shima is the ruler of the Kalingga kingdom in the Keling area, Jepara Regency and ancient objects of historical value found in the Jepara area, among others:

Relics of Queen Shima (http://ticjepara.com)

Photos of several royal items made of gold and platinum, statues of Trimurti and Shiva mahaguru, yoni and phallus, pieces of gopeng currency made of metal, pieces of carved stone ornaments which can still be seen on the walls of the Jepara Mantingan mosque, a set of ancient gamelan , bathtubs and jars for storing water made of clay, some ceramic items found around Karimunjawa waters, etc.

Relics of Queen Shima (http://ticjepara.com)

In addition to the items above, several examples of famous Jepara handicrafts are presented, namely: carvings, traditional ikat weaving from Troso village, monel (white steel metal) that does not rust or stenlis steel, ceramics, rattan and woven bamboo.

Room IV

Joko Tuo (http://ticjepara.com)

In this room we can see the skeleton of a giant fish “Joko Tuo” which is 16 meters long and 2 meters wide and weighs 6 tons. The fish was found in 1989 on the island of Karimunjawa in a state of death but still has remnants of its flesh. According to historians or archaeologists, this fish is like an elephant fish, because on its head there is a kind of tusk like that of an elephant and there is Latin and a special species for the animal. But most of the visitors call the fish by the name of the whale.

RA Kartini Museum
Street Square no. 1, Jepara, Central Java
Opening Hours: Monday-Friday: 08.00-17.00, Saturday: 08.00-17.00 and Sunday: 09.00-17.00

.